Monday, March 6, 2017

Lincoln In The Bardo

I'm not sure when the last time I read a New York Times #1 bestselling novel that was also my favorite book I've read (this year). For me, and while I know it's only March, I can't imagine another book this YEAR eclipsing this incredible debut novel, LINCOLN IN THE BARDO, by George Saunders. Set in the early stages of the Civil War, the book's dazzling writing and unique format gets at grief and hope and love with rare insight and sympathy, as Abraham Lincoln struggles with the loss of his young son, Willie. Told in a wide range of voices from a liminal state between "that previous place" (life) and a final resting spot, it's at turns hilarious, heartfelt, and deeply moving. Colson Whitehead calls the novel "a luminous feat of generosity and humanism” and the Guardian says Saunders first novel "is a brilliant, exhausting, emotionally involving attempt to get up again, to fight for empathy, kindness and self-sacrifice.” I can't say enough good things about this one, and it's got a mounting holds list, so give a call to the Reader Services Desk (or click here) to place a hold AND check out one of Saunders’ short story collections (Tenth of DecemberPastoralia) while you wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment