Monday, March 1, 2010

Erin Go Bragh and Viva Italia!!!

Erin Go Bragh and Viva Italia!!!

As I think about what to feature this entry, I think about current events and what have I been reading. I just finished reading Sometimes I Dream in Italian by Rita Ciresi, but St. Patrick’s Day is around the corner so I also ponder something Irish. But, why can’t I do both? Because I am of both Italian and Irish decent I often feel the need to address both sides of my heritage. Lucky for me St. Joseph’s Day (you may know the Italian feast day for the popular pastry called Zeppole) falls two days after St. Patrick’s Day. So after the corned beef sandwich, head out to any Italian bakery on March 19th for your Zeppole.

Here is a short list of some titles and a few films that I have enjoyed with either an Irish or Italian element in no particular order.

ItalianSometimes I Dream in Italian by Rita Ciresi (Some of the characters in this book could have been my own relatives.)

Gringa Latina: A Woman of Two Worlds by Gabriella De Ferrari. (I read this book years ago, but I enjoyed it not only for the Italian element but the South American as well. I also love all things Spanish.)

Cíao America by Beppe Severgnini (Funny and insightful, Beppe comments on Americans after a year long stay through the eyes of an Italian)
Also by Severgnini La Bella Figura : A Field Guide to the Italian Mind
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. (This is the book I have been wanting to read for years, by the very famous Italian author.)

All time favorite Italian films, Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino
IrishRound Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks (This book is hilarious and reminded me why I love being Irish.)

Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt (Also a motion picture, this beautifully crafted work reminded me of my grandparents who grew up in Ireland and had no choice but to leave their homeland. I might even put this book in my top ten list.)

Rosewater and Soda Bread by Marsha Mehran
(Well I love soda bread and since I love all things foreign, this book depicts three lovely Iranian sisters' experience while living in Ireland.)

After Rain by William Trevor (A collection of short stories, chosen by the editors of The New York Times Book Review as one of the eight best books of 1996. This is the book I plan on reading next.)

All time favorite Irish movie Waking Ned Devine.

No comments:

Post a Comment