Thursday, March 18, 2010

Alex Chilton RIP


Very sad news from the Memphis Commercial Appeal that legendary singer, songwriter and musician--whose music with Big Star and the Box Tops left an incalculable mark on rock music--died yesterday at the age of 59. Sadder still that Chilton was in New Orleans and scheduled to perform with a reunited Big Star at the year's SXSW festival in Austin, Texas. I wrote about the Big Star box set Keep An Eye On The Sky in an earlier blog post last year. If you still haven't checked out Chilton's music I'd urge you (again) to do so. There's a bunch of great music clips posted at Pitchfork Magazine today. I know I'll go home today, open the windows to some beautiful spring weather, and blast a little Big Star.

Thank You, Alex. RIP. "I loved you, well, never mind. I've been crying, all the time."

No comments:

Post a Comment