Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Are You There, Judy Blume? It’s Me, Karrie

When I was in sixth grade Judy Blume’s book, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret was all the rage amongst my friends. That was the first time I remember any of us talking about a book. Of course I had to read it. My public library was five blocks away from our house so I jumped on my bike, parked my bike in the bike rack, and ventured into the children’s section to get a copy. The kind librarian (because in my world all librarians are kind) told me that it was checked out and that she could put a hold on it for me. Having never done that before –there had been no other book at the time that was so popular – I put my name on the list and waited. And waited. And waited. Weeks later a notification came through the U.S. mail – you remember mail, right? Back in the day, and I truly hate to tell you how long ago this was but it was in the neighborhood of 43 years ago, hold notices came in through a mail slot in our front door. I got home from school and my hold notice announced that my copy of Are You There, God? It’s me, Margaret ready for me.

My bike seemed to lift off the ground I was riding so fast to the library. As soon as the librarian handed Margaret to me, I found a quiet and comfortable corner of the library, and began reading. A couple hours later I was finishing Margaret’s story and my mom was wondering why I wasn’t home for dinner. It was a transformative book for me; I was 12-years-old and Margaret was experiencing adolescence at the same age as I was; her experiences were my experiences. I was convinced that Judy Blume knew me and had written my story.

When I was sixteen, her book Forever was published. Forever was very edgy for its time because it was about a 16-year-old girl named Katherine who was experiencing boyfriend love for the first time. She lived in Westfield, New Jersey, and her story was simple, very realistic, and quite romantic. Once again, I was convinced that Judy Blume wrote Forever about me because at the time I lived in Westfield, New Jersey, and I was in love for the first time. Places Katherine went, I had been. She went to Westfield High School and so did I. This could not be a coincidence, right?

Throughout her life as an author, Judy Blume has boldly written authentic books for adolescents about topics that were true to them. She understands kids. She’s been a voice for young adults and as a result she is one of the most widely banned authors in our time. Her ideas and discussion of authentic teen experiences was – and still is – very threatening to many adults. For me, I was lucky enough to grow up with her, and she is one of my heroes. Now I am a librarian and I am happy when I recommend her books to kids and they read them.

Now I’m in my 50s, and Judy Blume writes books for adults, thankfully. She’s been the one author I truly have been reading all my life and I thank her for that. The books she writes for adults are just as engaging and wonderful as the young adult books I grew up reading. In many ways she still gets me.

Her most recently published book In the Unlikely Event is a wonderful read, as are her other novels for adults, Summer Sisters and Wifey. As I eagerly await her next book, I’ll take note that times have changed since I was 12. When I get the email telling me that my hold for Judy’s newest book is available, I’ll jump into my car and drive immediately to the library. I begin the ritual of finding a comfy corner of the library to sit and dive head-first into whatever story she is telling me…and I’ll feel like a 12-year-old girl all over again. The anticipation is almost too much to bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment