Monday, July 11, 2011

Art in Fiction


Having read Shop Girl by Steve Martin, I was curious about his latest book, An Object of Beauty. Right from the beginning I am struck by how much talent Martin has, writer, musician, comedian/actor, and those are the ones of which we know. It almost seems unfair for one person to have so much. While the characters are likeable they are not overly developed, I felt as though it was because the art itself is the object of beauty here, the story is not about Lacey and Daniel, but about the art and the art world in New York. Martin himself is clearly quite adept on the subject and almost seems to want to impart that knowledge. I learned a bit about paintings and the artists that created them, there are some pictures of works which I appreciated. I love fiction with reference to real things and places.

No comments:

Post a Comment