Saturday, March 19, 2011

Have you tried the new library catalog?

It is easy to set up your account and you will need your library card number and your password. Your password is the same password you used with our previous catalog. Enter your library card number and password into the appropriate fields on the right side of the Glenview Bibliocommons home page and you will be taken to the registration screen. You will then be prompted to enter your birth date and then you will be able to select a username.

While it is not necessary to set up an account if you simply want to search for library materials, we recommend that you do this in order to take advantage of the many other functions our new catalog offers such as placing holds, renewing your materials and connecting with the library community.

Once you have registered and are logged in, take a look at the 'My GPL' tab. This is where you can see what you have checked out and renew your materials.

A new feature that you can find under the 'My GPL' tab is called My Shelves. I especially like using the For Later shelf to keep track of books or movies that I want to check out in the future. As you browse the catalog, you can add items to your shelves very easily by clicking on the My Shelves link to the right of the item.

If you are looking for ideas about what to read, watch or listen to next, you should check out the Explore tab. Use the links under this tab to see the newest materials acquired by the library, award winning books, bestsellers and our staff picks.

Bibliocommons also incorporates social media functions that you may have seen at websites like Amazon.com. These functions enable you to review library materials, make booklists and connect with other Bibliocommons users.

And last but not least, I want to mention one other feature that I really like about our new catalog. Once you have registered a username, you have the option of signing in with your username or your library card number. I know for me, it is much easier to remember my username as opposed to the 14 digit library card number!

No comments:

Post a Comment