Friday, February 18, 2011

Water for Elephants

If you haven’t already, you’ll want to be sure to read the book Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen before the movie is released. It’s scheduled to premier in New York on April 17th, opens around the country on April 22nd, and will star Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon and Christopher Weitz.

I remember being asked to lead a book discussion for this book when it was first published in May of 2006. I didn’t think it was something that would appeal to me. Once I started reading it, however, I found I couldn’t put it down as I was swept into the world of the circus during the depression.

The novel’s main character is a cantankerous, 93-year-old man. Still sharp, but trapped in an old man’s body, he reflects on the story of his incredible life and adventures with the Benzini Brothers circus. His story is emotionally wrenching, filled with richly drawn, eccentric characters as well as the alarming treatment of animals and circus performers and animals.

There is something in the novel for everyone – adventure, romance, mystery, history, and fiction memoir. Check out a copy today – before you see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment