Monday, January 4, 2010

Spanglish on Broadway

I was going to blog about the Broadway show I saw over the weekend. It was In the Heights, the 2008 Tony Award winner. I was going to say that if you love all things Spanish you will love this musical. Next I would have said that the show takes place in the primarily Latino neighborhood in Manhattan called Washington Heights and how well the set depicts the barrio. I would have rambled on a bit more about the fact that the characters are from all different parts of the Spanish-speaking world; Usnavi is Dominican, Nina is Puerto Rican and Claudia is Cuban. And that my favorite scene and song takes place on a balcony with Nina teaching Sammy, some tender words in Spanish. And finally that the show is fresh, hip and fun.

Only, I didn’t realize I went the last weekend of its run.


However, all is not lost, check out the CD and have a listen. Several libraries have it in their collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment