Monday, October 26, 2009

Goodreads

Goodreads is the largest social network for readers in the world. 2,500,000 members have added over 60,000,000 books to their virtual bookshelves. I am hooked on the concept because it helps me keep track of my reading and I can more easily recommend books to friends and patrons. Others use it to keep a list of what they want to read; some don't post books but still enjoy the reviews and comments. My favorite feature is that an email is sent directly to you when a friend posts a book. It is heartening to know that my Goodread friends enjoy the same books that I do.

The founder, Otis Y. Chandler, a software engineer, has loved reading since his early discovery of the Hardy Boys. And the idea sprung from his wanting to know what his friends were reading. Goodreads has a blog for their employees where I learned that potential members can register with their Facebook or Google login credentials.

In addition, WorldCat.org now provides Goodreads reviews to help users evaluate materials with fellow readers’ comments. Goodreads reviews can be found in the “Reviews” section alongside WorldCat, weRead, Amazon.com and Educational Media reviews.

You'll probably think of other ways it can accelerate your reading life.



-I.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment