Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

A terrific audiobook that I enjoyed and really thought was charming, funny and an intriguing mystery is called The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by first time novelist 70 year old Alan Bradley. The story is read by Jayne Entwistle who portrays precocious 11 year old Flavia de Luce, as an unconventional young lady with a love of chemistry and a talent for deductive reasoning with enthusiasm, curiosity and a British accent that draws you in. The story begins in the summer of 1950 in a sleepy English village. When Flavia discovers a murdered stranger’s body in a cucumber patch outside her bedroom window, she begins her quest to solve the mystery like a female adolescent version of Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed each of the characters in this audiobook and how they all developed their own unique personality.

1 comment:

  1. Now I wish I'd read this in audio, not that I didn't enjoy it in hardback. But something tells me the audio version would have been more laugh out loud-ish.

    Great book, great new female character. Flavia rocks.

    ReplyDelete